Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Last night I made chicken saltimbocca- Michael Romanos' version from America's Best Chefs Cook With Jeremiah Tower, served over sauteed spinach with garlic.

I made saltimbocca once, years ago, when things like pounding cutlets thin and stuffing them and breading and frying of all sorts were not skills I had acquired yet. It was complicated, and disastrous. I expected a chef's cookbook version to be extra difficult. But it wasn't. Michael Romano doesn't go in for any stuffing- you just press the prosciutto and some sage on the cutlet and then dip it in a flour-pecorino romano mixture, then some eggs beat with olive oil, then fry in a little bit of olive oil. It took a few minutes to prep and then four minutes to cook. (And I cooked the spinach at the same time.) This was fortunate, because our apartment retains heat like Anna Nicole Smith retains water, and I didn't want to spend any more time over a hot stove then necessary.

0 comments: