Friday, May 28, 2004

I let my subscription to Allure lapse, mainly because they a) automatically renewed me, which I think is a ridiculous business practice, and I nearly wrote them a letter with my cancellation explaining how I would have renewed except for the fact that they used sneaky fine print and how odious I found that practice, but I thought that would make me officially a Crazy Lady and b) they keep running articles about people falling in love with their trainers and anyone who feels attractive enough to fall in love while at the gym is no one I can relate to.

What does this have to do with cooking? Well, since I have a set annual magazine budget, I replaced Allure with Gourmet.

I'm a little underwhelmed with my first two issues- although last night I made the Chinese Five Spice Chicken Wings with coleslaw, neither of which were at all difficult and both of which were delicious. But they also both seemed like things I could have figured out on my own. Perhaps next year when this runs out, I'll try Bon Appetit. I guess all magazines can't be Cook's Illustrated.

0 comments: