Wednesday, July 14, 2004

So while Jeff was in Las Vegas, I did laundry and cracked open The Provence Cookbook.

I figured I would make myself the Sunday Salad of Greens, Olive Toasts, and Mint-Infused Fresh Cheese.

Y'all. You have to turn to a different recipe for the mint-infused cheese- which asks you to turn to another recipe for the regular cheese. You have to turn to a different recipe for the olive puree- which asks you to turn to another recipe for an herb blend.

Diligently, anyway, I started by making my own cheese. You combine whole milk and vinegar, on low, for a billion years while waiting for it to reach 210 degrees. This part wasn't hard, really. In the meantime, I pureed the olives with the herbs in the food processor. Also easy. But it took about 3 hours for the cheese to reach 210. And I was of course in the laundry room when it did, so it got to 218, and I was convinced it was ruined. And I kept misreading when I was supposed to add the salt, so I worried I hadn't added it in time and then added it to early. And then you have to drain the cheese. Mainly, I just couldn't believe I was making cheese. What is next, home-churned butter?

In the end, I was too exhausted to turn to yet another page for her vinaigrette or assemble a salad. Instead, I spread the cheese (which was yummy and kind of squeaky) on toasted french bread and topped with the olive mixture. It was delicious.

0 comments: