Monday, August 16, 2004

Friday night I had planned on steak (with a garlic lemon rub per last week's Minimalist column) and A New Way To Cook's scrumptious buttermilk mashed potatoes. I contemplated making Julia's version of potatoes but in the end decided to just honor her by adding more butter. The steak was also brushed with melted butter before grilling, so, there you go.

Saturday we lazily used the leftover steak to make quesadillas. I was going to saute some onions, as well, but in the end was too lazy for that, even. I did reread much of Mastering The Art... and From Julia Child's Kitchen while planning this week's menus. I love that Julia has a chapter heading called "Chicken Kiev and Other Stuffed Breast Fantasies. So tonight will be poulet saute aux herbes des Provence and later this week, spinach turnover.

Sunday morning I made omelets, and, y'all? Did not use a spatula or any other implement. I made omelets solely with my pan-jerking power. Julia would have been proud, I think. I had watched her do it in an excerpt from The French Chef and suddenly it all made sense. Fortunately for all of us, she lives on.

0 comments: