Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Sunday I dove into the winter section of A Year in A Vegetarian Kitchen, though it's not nearly wintry here. It's not even put on a jacket weather here. Nonetheless, I made the creamy with no cream content tomato soup and garlicky mushroom grilled cheese and they were both so, so, so good. I'm not a ginormous fan of tomato soup, but this was delicious- I think the secret may have been the sauteed leek base. I used chicken stock instead of vegetable stock because it was what I had on hand (figuring homemade chicken stock to be a better bet than going with store bought vegetable stock).

The mushrooms inside the grilled cheese, too- so delicious. I always think I hate mushrooms, and then I remember how I love a sauteed mushroom. I love it a lot. And sauteeing it with some sage and garlic before plonking it between some bread and cheese is just the right way to treat it.

Just because it isn't winter here yet doesn't mean we can't enjoy a good rainy day meal, right?

0 comments: