Thursday, March 31, 2005

Last night I made a tart from Vegetarian Suppers for Everyone last night (and that is a good sign for that cookbook, the fact that even though I am all done reviewing it, I still turn to it once a week or so.

Deborah Madison's tart shell recipe is super easy, and finally gives me a use for whole wheat pastry flour. (It's 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour, 1/2 all purpose, which I think leads to a pretty crisp shell.) She also recommends when blind baking not docking the bottom or using pie weights, but checking the tart sporadically and deflating any air bubbles with a sharp knife.

I was very dubious of this method but you know what? It actually works. And is kind of fun to do.

The tart filling was one of the gazillion different roasted eggplant/tomato/olive/goat cheese fillings in that book (by gazillion I mean two). I roasted the eggplant the night before, and while the shell blind baked I stirred in some basil and chopped olives and then a whisked together egg/goatcheese/creme fraiche mixture. It makes an eggplant custard filling that, with layered tomato slices on top of it, was just incredible. It was Jeff's favorite tart of all time.
 


 

0 comments: