Friday, October 05, 2007

I'm not sure it is a traditional recommendation for a cookbook to say that I have never cooked a recipe from it exactly as written, but I still love Marian Burros' Cooking for Comfort. Last night we had her mac and cheese (with a cheddar with caramelized onions built in- what will TJ's think of next? and diced ham), and this book has nearly nudged out Nigella as my go-to dessert source. Her chocolate chip cookies (sans espresso powder) are hands down the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever (and I know Teri will try to disagree with me on that but she will be wrong).

Autumn cooking, if you believe the food magazines, is all about braised turnips and things that, well, you are not that excited to tuck into if you are a normal person. Instead, as the weather cools, I'll be cooking more and more for comfort.

Edited to add the recipe. Teri, prepare to be converted.

Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies- adapted
16 tbsp softened butter
3/4 c packed brown sugar
3/4 c granulated sugar
2 eggs
Healthy splash of vanilla
2 1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz coarsely chopped schmancy chocolate or 1 12 oz bag chocolate chips
Nuts if you want them

1)Preheat oven to 375. Grease several baking sheets or line with parchment/Silpat.

2) Cream butter and sugars in your mixer, and then add the eggs one at a time, beating well. Then add vanilla, beating well.

3) Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Then slowly beat into butter mixture.

5) Mix in the chocolate (and nuts if you want).

6)Drop by heaping tablespoonful on cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes or so.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm in the market for a new chocolate chip cookie recipe. Adam's preschool is a nut-free zone and I want to make a cookie that I can pack with his lunch (my recipe features peanut butter)...

Anonymous said...

BLESS YOU.