Monday, December 10, 2007

Some people I know have a long running argument about cake v. pie. I have always been partial to pie but lately have been making more and more cakes- cakes are easier and a nice way to round off Sunday dinner with the in-laws. Southern Cakes is my new bible and I am wondering how I ever landed in the pie camp to begin with- a truly great cake (like last night's brown sugar pound cake with caramel glaze) is so fricking EASY.

I think it is because despite the fact that cake is so easy, there are so many bad cakes being made out there. I don't know why that is- I don't think I've ever made a bad cake, and I am not a master baker, but I have certainly tasted a billion bad cakes. Pie is trickier and I've had some pie disasters but even the world's worst pie is usually delicious. I am not sure why that is, but it is a culinary fact.

0 comments: