Monday, May 26, 2003

This weekend we finally went to Father's Office out in Santa Monica. Everyone I know who lives in Santa Monica raves about the burgers there. We expected a dive, and I was disappointed immediately by all the blond wood and streamlined fixtures. The fries served in little shopping baskets. It seemed more like a brewpub in Columbus or Des Moines.

The burgers, though. Dry aged beef, served with Gruyere and Maytag blue cheese, a caramelized onion and bacon compote, and arugula (I scraped the arugula off). It may have been the best burger I ever had in my life. And perfect matchstick fries with thick Mediterranean sea salt and an aioli. Yum.

Afterwards we came home and watched The Thin Man, which Jeff had never seen. I made vanilla lemon drop martinis and was thrilled that Jeff loved the movie as much as I do. Now, I suppose, I'll have to watch some Charles Bronson movies with him.

0 comments: