Thursday, June 26, 2003

Last night I made mac and cheese. I have always used in the past the Amanda Hesser recipe I tore from the NYT Magazine, so last night I used the same recipe from Cooking For Mr. Latte figuring it would be the same recipe. The sauce came out runny and thin (which Jeff liked) and lacked the full cheese flavor I remembered, and I cursed her for changing it for the book. Then I dug up the magazine clipping, to figure out the original recipe, and noticed my notes- I had made some alterations to thicken the sauce, and had used a cheddar-Jack blend instead of all Jack. I should note that in my copy of the book now, I guess.

I also use Ro-Tel instead of Italian tomatoes, because I am from Texas, but I didn't need any notes to remind me of that.

Also, if you ever need fresh breadcrumbs, and have no stale bread? Put it in the oven or toaster oven at 200 for a while, until it feels stale. Then grate it through a cheese grater. A little tip from me to you.

0 comments: