Wednesday, October 01, 2003

I loved this article. It restored all my goodwill towards Amanda Hesser, post-Duck Incident and all, and put that horrible Sandra Lee in her place. And fit in well with my own prejudices and beliefs, as well as the essay I read last night in An Omelette and a Glass of Wine called, I think, "A True Emulsion" or "A Real Emulsion" railing against the grossness of processed mayonnaise. I know I probably seem hopelessly smug with my bread baking on the weekend, make my own mayonnaise and salad dressings and dinners from scratch ways. But I'm sorry, I think doing so makes the food I eat better for me and better tasting, and it improves the quality of my life. What else have I got besides that? What else do you have?

Last night I made cheese spoonbread from Julia Reed's Sunday article. Usually something about Julia Reed rubs me the wrong way, but how can you go wrong writing about George Jones' sausage? (Though I think any mention of country singers and their sausages should also include mention of Dwight Yoakam's Bakersfield Biscuits. I mean, come on. You could have a whole country music breakfast.) Anyway, the spoonbread is basically a cornmeal souffle and was part of my ongoing campaign to trick Jeff, who hates polenta and grits and all that is holy, into liking cornmeal. That campaign failed. Also, my Ralphs doesn't carry George Jones Sausage, so I went with Jimmy Dean (who I love. My cellphone ringer plays "PT-109.") and grabbed the maple sausage on accident. Y'all. For the love that of all that is good, do not buy preflavored maple sausage. Trust me. Thanks.

Tonight Jeff's making Macaroni and Cheese his ownself from How to Cook Everything: The Basics. I'm trying to let go and let him do it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

0 comments: