Monday, October 06, 2003

It's going to be Marcella Hazan week here at Hannah Cooks, I'm warning y'all know. Jeff made fun of me for buying Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, claiming that I don't like Italian food, and I am set on proving him wrong. (I do like Italian food, I just don't like store bought pasta except as a vehicle for ricotta.) I'm saving next weekend to try pasta by hand.

Saturday I made her roast chicken and green beans sauteed with parmesan. Y'all. Take a chicken. Rinse it off, then pat it dry. Rub salt and pepper all over the inside or the outside, and then put two lemons inside it. Close up the hole you shoved the lemons up with toothpicks and then tie the legs together just tight enough to hold them in place. Roast at 375 for 30 minutes breast side down (don't bother rubbing it with oil or butter! You don't need to! I know, I didn't believe it either) and then turn breast side up. After 30 more minutes, turn up the heat to 400 and roast for another 20-25 minutes. That's it. The world's easiest roast chicken, and it is really, really good. The green beans were equally simple and good.

Yesterday was breadbaking day. I made the white bread from Baking With Julia, and it came out both tasteless and salty (how is that possible? I do not know). It's okay for toast, not so okay for sandwiches.

Also- I returned to Jacques Pepin's dressing in a jar. 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp of dijon mustard, salt, pepper, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, and 1 cup olive oil. I halved that all, and then whisked the oil in slowly to emulsify instead of just shaking it all together. It tasted just as good, took a few more minutes, but most importantly, no longer solidifies in the refrigerator.

Also, Californians, don't forget to vote No tomorrow. Thanks!

0 comments: