Friday, October 03, 2003

Julia Reed's sausage article had me craving biscuits and gravy. (This despite her describing biscuits and gravy as being too reminiscent of cat vomit. Maybe THAT is what bothers me about Julia Reed.) So I went and got some more, non-maple flavored Jimmy Dean sausage and made biscuits and gravy for dinner last night.

I used Alton Brown's biscuit recipe, and y'all, he knows what he's doing. They use a not unlike puff pastry making technique- folding the dough over on itself a few times- which results in really flaky, puffy, delicious biscuits. The best I have ever made. Butter- is there anything it can't do?

Somehow, the entire 12 oz of Jimmy Dean sausage only produced maybe- MAYBE- a tablespoon's worth of fat. How is that? Regardless, I wisked in some flour, added milk, and simmered until thick. Stirred in the sausage and it turned out okay. I would say it was the best sausage gravy I have ever had outside of the South, how's that? No Paris Coffee Shop biscuits and gravy, but nothing is. That Jimmy Dean should really stick to music, though- I'm not a big fan of his sausage. But I'm not about to make my own, either.

I know this is about cooking, this blog, but still, here's a California aside. I've been trying to think under what circumstances I would consider voting for the recall. I think if Thomas Jefferson came back from the dead and was like, "Hey California! What's up? While I was dead, I had a lot of free time. I came up with this battery operated car that runs just like a normal car and needs to be recharged after every 10 hours of driving and only takes 10 minutes to recharge. And it doesn't pollute at all, and I'm donating the patent to the state and creating a lot of jobs in battery car production. And the car will make so much money that we'll build as many new schools as you need, and hire a teacher for every 10 students, and pay them all six figure salaries, and feed all the students healthy breakfasts and lunches for free. And pay for them to play soccer and things after school. Oh, and free healthcare for everyone. And then when you're all settled, I'm going back to Monticello to hang and I'm inviting all those Hemingses and disowning my racist descendents. Sorry about them. And also, you, Hannah, you personally? Here's $5 million. Just for fun. Don't spend it all in one place. Come hang out and I'll show you how to write in Greek with one hand and Latin with the other. It's a good party trick. Cheers!" IN THAT EVENT, I would probably vote yes. Barring that, I'm voting against it, and for the love of god, so should you.

0 comments: