Friday, October 17, 2003

Last night I used leftover scraps of puff pastry to make pizzettes from Michel Richard's recipe in Baking With Julia. (The Alsatian onion tart, I should have mentioned, was also Michel Richard.) You roll it out, cut out 2 inch circles, and smush a cherry tomato half in the center. Top with a spoonful of goat cheese and bake. I used chopped regular tomato, and it took closer to 30 minutes, as opposed to 12-15 minutes, to bake. But man were they good.

I also had a craving for basic baked fish with lots of lemon and butter. I dug up a recipe from the old Houston Junior League cookbook for fish Italienne. Simple- fillets dredged in browned butter, and then you pour a mixture of equal parts lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce on top. Top with breadcrumbs and bake. Even using my modified version of Christopher Kimball's version of James Beard's 10 minutes per inch rule (Christopher Kimball's is 8 or 9 minutes per inch, mine is 7), the fish was a bit underdone. I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd used the 20 minutes the recipe called for.

Still, it was good. Jeff said it was his favorite fish dish I'd made, even.

0 comments: