Thursday, September 16, 2004

I was intrigued by this Minimalist column- grilled tomatoes? In scrambled eggs? With soy sauce and sesame oil over rice? I figured it was something I'd really like, and my husband would either love or hate passionately. So I figured I'd try it.

Except, last night, when I went to go get the heirloom tomatoes I'd bought at the Farmer's Market on Sunday from their bowl on the counter, I found that they were covered in mold. I was devastated- I don't eat dinner at home Mondays or Tuesdays right now, so Wednesday is a comfort meal for me. Fortunately, my husband and his friend quickly volunteered to go to Trader Joe's (well, first my husband offered to buy me a Skooby's hot dog. Not quite the same.) and they got more tomatoes (inferior mediocre Romas, but, grilled on a grill pan, they tasted pretty good) and a bottle of wine. Y'all, it was so good. And so easy. You just core and slice the tomatoes into hunks, brush them with sesame oil and season with salt and pepper, and grill them until they are soft but not mushy. (You can also grill them until they are mushy, which I did, accidentally, and they still worked.) The skins come right off as you put them in a bowl to cool. Then you heat up some oil in a skillet (I think you can use way less oil than the 3 tbsp Mark Bittman recommends) and add some minced ginger and garlic just until it gets fragrant. Crack 6 eggs into the tomato bowl and beat the whole mess altogether. Then add it to the skillet and stir constantly for 5-10 minutes until done. Stir in some soy sauce and sesame oil and serve over rice.

I'm all about the 30 minute meals these days- my schedule's gotten more hectic. I'm so glad to learn that Jacques Pepin anticipated my needs and will be checking my PBS schedule.

0 comments: