Monday, October 04, 2004

I have a new favorite recipe- Emma's Cod and Potatoes from The Minimalist Cooks at Home.

Mark Bittman says he accidentally introduced his daughter to pommes Anna, which she loved, but which are super time consuming to make. (I've seen the pommes Anna episode of America's Test Kitchen and have never attempted them, because they do look like a giant pain.)

So he came up with a variation- for two people, slice up about a pound of potatoes real thin with a mandoline or sharp knife. Put in a baking dish (I used my two quart oval Le Creuset casserole) and pour over 1-2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss. (I also added a minced garlic clove and some fresh rosemary. I highly, highly recommend adding rosemary, and recommend the garlic, too.) Pat the slices evenly so they are evenly distributed.

Put in a 400 degree oven (I have to double check this, it may have been less hot) for 45 minutes or until golden.

THEN! You turn your broiler on and make sure the rack is 4-6 inches away from the heat source.

Take 1 pound of cod cut in two pieces and place on top of the potatoes. Drizzle 1 more tbsp olive oil or melted butter over the fish and season with salt and pepper. Broil for 5- 8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.

Y'all, these were some of the greatest potatoes ever- crispy and tender at the same time. And the fish was great. And you can serve it right from the casserole (a quality my husband the dishwasher, who thinks I invented the concept of serving dishes just to make his life miserable, particularly appreciated). Serve with a leafy green salad. Yum.

0 comments: