Monday, April 17, 2006

This weekend I did a lot of unplanned cooking- which is usually not my speed. I do not like to go to the grocery store and think, "Hmm, maybe I'll make this." I like to have a menu and a list.

But, you know, the seat of the pants method of cooking is not that hard. Saturday night we had steaks with chimichurri and roasted asparagus with gruyere, which was easy to throw together and managed to feel like we were having a Date. Steak will do that, and I am pretty sure knowing my way around a cut of red meat is one of the things my husband loves most about me.

Sunday we had the in-laws over for dinner. Afterwards I thought we should have had some lamb for Easter- they are Jewish, but they love lamb more than they care one way or another about Jesus. Instead we had fried chicken and biscuits and peas and a black and blueberry cobbler. (I almost want to have a party where you watch one of those HBO fights just so I can serve black and blueberry cobbler. However, I do not know anything about boxing- is there a fight season? Also my lack of interest in boxing overpowers my love of bad jokey menu planning.)

For the biscuits I realized I was out of plain yogurt, a moment which nearly put a damper in my spontaneous cooking weekend. But I substituted vanilla yogurt and the biscuits were delicious anyway. Flaky and rich and also dessert-like. Next time I will make shortcake with them.

0 comments: