Thursday, January 04, 2007



Part of my New Year's resolution is to get back into cooking more, a habit that fell away during early pregnancy and which I would like to not fall away post-partum, so I am back to blogging to go along with that.

Last night's meal could not have been easier- a curried chicken salad from last month's Cooking Light, which like most curried chicken salad did not exactly break new ground, but which had "light" tasting elements like sliced grapes and dried apricots as well as orange juice and zest and fresh grated ginger- I upped the ante on the ginger substantially since Jeff and I are both battling head colds and also used peanuts instead of cashews since that is what I had on hand. I think the calorically light part of it was probably just the use of light mayonnaise, which I unhealthily do not stock. (And I omitted the watercress, since the watercress at the market looked terrible, so I could have done with some green on the plate.)

Cooking Light suggested this be served with sweet potato chips, but since I was roasting the chicken breasts anyway I decided to try the sweet potato puree with butter and hazelnut oil from my Christmas present,The Improvisational Cook. You just roast sweet potatoes, and then pop them in the food processor and puree them, and then mix in butter, salt, pepper and hazelnut oil to taste. It was super easy and almost made me think that maybe I will be one of those moms who cook for their babies- you could easily take out a baby portion of the straight pureed sweet potato before adding the adult flavorings, and also set aside some of the roasted chicken, and tear off some of the naan. Cooking special things for the baby and things for us seems overwhelming, but one meal for the whole family I could totally do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am so glad you wrote here again.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you here again, too!

On the subject of meals for the whole family: it's great, and it's easy, and you'll feel good about yourself for doing it, but let me warn you that there may come a day when your child is on a high-fat diet and you're trying not to be and then life will really suck.

(This from someone who ate a lean cuisine last night while her kids ate roast chicken - butter under the skin, of course - twice-baked potatoes, and sauteed carrots and apples.)