Saturday, May 05, 2007


Sconetastic, originally uploaded by hannahcooks.

I have been eating TJ's scones fairly regularly for breakfast. Today I felt up to making my own, and they are far better. (TJ's does fine as far as "boughten" baked goods go, I guess, but they are way too sweet to make too much of a habit of.)

These bad boys featured dried cranberries and chocolate chips because that is what I had handy, and are a take off from Sally Schneider's "you will not believe how little butter are in these" recipe courtesy of A New Way To Cook.

For 8 scones:
-2cups flour
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp kosher salt
-3 tbsp sugar
-4 tbsp butter
-handful of dried fruit, chocolate, nuts, whatever
-3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425.

Mix dry ingredients (flour-sugar) together. Cut in butter until pebbly. Stir in fruit/nut choices (she has you add in ground coriander and orange zest, too, which I did not have handy). Add buttermilk, mix with a fork, and then knead a few times. (I did this directly in the bowl.)

Divide dough into 8 balls, place on oiled or silpat-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 15 minutes; then bake til golden, about another 15.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's high time that Sally Schneider just went a head and titled a cookbook, "You Will Not Believe How Little Butter Are In These."

Hannah said...

I have another cookbook whose subtitle is "Don't forget the butter;" I keep that and Paula Deen on a separate shelf from Schneider's books lest they cancel each other out and create a black hole in my living room.

Amine said...

bulk text messagingvrijgezellenfeest in amsterdamSo now I'm