Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Highlights and lowlights from the June/July Cook's Country:

-Smokehouse burgers. Yum. Ginormous (the friends we had over for this took half of theirs home for lunch the next day. Jeff and I scarfed ours down but I did give some of mine to Nathan.) Excellent with pickled onions.

-Chopped Cobb Salad. Possibly my favorite salad ever- sauteeing the chicken in the bacon fat was an inspired bit of fat recycling. It's not wasteful AND it's delicious. I'm not usually a fan of blue cheese dressing, but either the Stilton I bought or the recipe was exceptionally mild.

-Chipotle-grilled Pork Tacos. Not my favorite use of pork tenderloin, but the pineapple-chipotle slaw topping is worth remembering.

-Crispy chicken salad wraps. At first I though the problem was the less pliable (but more delicious) handmade tortillas I used. (Handmade by Trader Joe's, not by me.) Then I thought, why would you heat chicken salad? Why? Still, I am going to add a dollop of sour cream to all my chicken salad from now on. I'm just not going to wrap it in a tortilla and fry it.

0 comments: