Thursday, May 01, 2008

I am not a vegetable lover so when I find a vegetable dish I love I get really excited. I get excited when I find a vegetable dish I like, in fact. But love is even better, especially when it is a new vegetable, because one can only eat roast asparagus so often.

Last night I was making this caramelized ginger chicken saute (in which the chicken is more poached than sauteed, but whatevs, Cooking Light) but did not want to make steamed bok choy to go with it as suggested because I may be cooking light but I don't totally hate myself. Which is what I tend to assume about people who eat steamed vegetables. So I turned to How to Cook Everything and as it turns out I love stir-fried bok choy.

Heat a big pan over pretty high heat for a few minutes. Add some peanut or canola or other high-heat tolerant oil and directly after that add some minced garlic, grated ginger, and thinly sliced scallions. Cook for just a smidge and then add a mess of bok choy that's been cut up into nice slices. Saute, stirring, for a few minutes. Then add a good amount of chicken broth and continue to cook until the liquid's all gone. Then add a little salt and pepper the heck out of it.

0 comments: