Monday, May 19, 2003

Saturday Jeff and I skipped breakfast entirely. I did have an ice blended, I guess that counts. We met up with some of his oldest friends for a late lunch at the Airstream Diner in Beverly Hills. It was quite good (my pressed cuban sandwich was, as the waiter warned, greasy, but also delicious) though next time I think we'll go to Fred 62 and avoid the Beverly Hills traffic/parking nightmare.

That night, we made chicken chimichangas. I used to use canned chicken, and then got in the habit of using leftover roast chicken, and now will roast my own chicken breasts if there are no leftovers handy. I just don't trust chicken I haven't seen and handled raw. I like to rub the olive oil in with my bare hands, a fact that would, I'm sure, apall my friend Christina. She made me use a produce bag to pick up a packaged container of chicken breasts at Ralph's the other day, and gave me plastic gloves to carry the chicken out to the grill. As I said, I like to live dangerously.

I also learned that while freezing Monterey Jack cheese to make it easier to grate may seem like a good idea, it actually isn't. You can't grate frozen cheese. You can, however, microwave it for 10 seconds, and then it'll be just right.

Chicken Chimichangas

1 can cooked chicken or 2 chicken breasts, flaked with a fork
1 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1/2- 3/4 of a can of Ro-Tel. Original.
1/2 cup chopped green onion
tortillas
Pam
Sour cream and or/guacamole

Preheat the oven to 415. Combine the first four ingredients in a big bowl. Spray a tortilla on each side with Pam, then put 1/4 cup of the chicken and cheese mixture in the center. Fold in on the sides and then top to bottom and place folded side down on a baking sheet. Repeat (this will make about 8 chimichangas- you can also save the mixture for a day or two). Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown- you may want to flip them and bake for another minute or two. Serve with quacamole or sour cream.

0 comments: