Monday, March 15, 2004

I just got a copy of Mastering The Art Of French Cooking, Volume II, in Like New condition, for $4.25. Love the Half.com. I also got a copy of The Way To Cook for a little more than $4.25- but considering it's a $65 book, the $18 I paid seems pretty good. Thus my collection of the Major Works of Julia Child is complete, unless you consider In Julia's Kitchen With Master Chefs a major work. I kind of do, you may not.

This week I'm cooking mainly out of this month's Cooking Light, and cooking light in general. I turned to A New Way To Cook as I so often do for Friday night's dinner, an old standby of curry crusted scallops with ginger curry rice. And then savory French toast for breakfast Saturday, followed by a not so light but oh so good bacon cheddar hot dog and fries from Skooby's. If you are going to eat hot dogs and fries, though, they should be spectacular. Skooby's brings it. Jeff's garlic lover's dog had freshly minced garlic pressed right into the bun.

Sunday morning we tried the souffleed omelet from last week's NYT Magazine. They puffed up beautifully, but- I like my souffles to be one thing, and expect quite another from an omelet. It was too airy to feel like breakfast, or even brunch. However, it did give me the confidence to know I can take on a souffle.

Last night we had sole with lemon peppercorn sauce from Cooking Light. I was a little dubious about the availability of green peppercorns packed in brine, but I should have known Bristol Farms would come through. The sauce- just chicken stock, lemon juice, peppercorns and a little butter at the end- was phenomenal. It was from an article with recipes on Pam Anderson (author of The Best Recipe and former Dorky Yankee). Last month's chef was Mark Bittman. I love how they get really, really great the second I cancel my subscription.

0 comments: