Thursday, March 11, 2004

I'm making onion confit in my crockpot, all inspired by an eGullet conversation on onion confit.

I chopped up six onions in record time (god love you, super electric food processor) and tossed them in the crockpot with some butter and olive oil. I bought my crockpot at a time in my life where I had no need or room for a crockpot (in fact, I didn't actually use it until a year and a half later, long after moving to California) but I'm glad I did it then, because I wouldn't have, otherwise. I'm also glad I got the bigger crockpot- at the time, it seemed crazy, but T told me then I'd be happy in the long run, and I am. Six chopped onions filled my food processor and took up most of the room in the crockpot.

This morning, they'd reduced by half. I'm still cooking them, on the Keep Warm level. (My crockpot has no Low setting, but I know from the dorky Yankees that there isn't much difference between Low and Keep Warm.

Tonight I'm going to use them on my signature pizza. Then later I'm finally going to make pissaladiere with them. (I love onions. I love olives. Why have I never made pissaladiere?? I have no idea.

0 comments: