Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Continuing in the trend of "recipes from A New Way to Cook I always meant to try," last night we had the macaroni and cheese, which had always seemed offputtingly difficult due to the reference to making a "rice cream." Turns out a rice cream is just a bechamel with rice flour and no butter, so that was a pleasant surprise.

It definitely wasn't as creamy as regular mac-n-cheese, but at the same time, it was cheesier. I used a local cheddar and a local super aged raw milk gouda (take that, USDA!) from the Farmer's Market and it really just seemed like super cheese pasta. I'm not sure I'd make it again- I may just go whole hog and use my best cheeses in regular macaroni and cheese and make sure I hit the gym that day- but for a rice cream based entree, it was pretty good.

0 comments: